Makes 4-6 Servings
1 small eggplant (sliced end to end with skin on into 1/4-inch slices)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 ounce crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons fresh basil or 1/2-1 tablespoon dry basil
2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 1/2-1 tablespoon dry parsley
1 clove chopped garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1. Cut eggplant end to end to make long thin slices. Lightly salt eggplant slices on each side and let sit for 20 minutes. Pat the slices dry on both sides with paper towels.
2. In a large pan, heat ¼ cup olive oil over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, turn heat to medium and add eggplant slices a few at a time. Cook until soft on one side, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes. Slices should be golden brown on both sides. Remove to a plate to cool. Turn off the pan and let the rest of the oil to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. While the oil is cooling, mix feta cheese, basil and parsley in a small bowl. Break up any large clumps of cheese.
4. Add feta mix on top of each slice of eggplant and roll up into a tube. Use toothpick to keep them rolled up and place in a small deep dish. Do this for all the eggplant slices.
5. In a bowl, add any remaining cooled olive oil from the pan, garlic and red wine vinegar. Using a fork, whisk to combine. Pour over eggplant rolls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Recipe from Feeding Pennsylvania and PA Eats