Makes 4 servings
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2 cups eggplant (stems removed, sliced end to end
into planks, then cut into 1-inch pieces, skin on)
2 cups hot cooked rice
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
1. In a medium bowl with a fork, whisk together 1 tablespoon each of the sesame oil, soy sauce and maple syrup. Add eggplant pieces and toss to coat.
2. Heat a large pan over medium heat. When hot, add the eggplant pieces and any remaining sauce to the skillet. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, turning eggplant until brown on all sides, about 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side.
3. When eggplant is ready, place on top of the rice in the serving bowl. Return the hot pan to the stove.
4. In a medium bowl with a fork, whisk 1 tablespoon each of sesame oil, soy sauce and maple syrup with the peanut butter, lime juice and red pepper flakes. Add the peanut butter sauce to the hot pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring gently.
5. Drizzle hot peanut butter sauce over the eggplant and rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Recipe from Feeding Pennsylvania and PA Eats